Treasuring The Journey

Treasuring the journey through life, one footstep at a time.

Dresser Facelift – Part 1 December 4, 2010

Hello Everyone,

I hope you are having a fabulous Saturday. Pete and I had a bit of slow start to our Saturday, but finally kicked into gear around 3pm today. We gathered our painting and prep supplies and started the process of a dresser facelift. This is our first DIY makeover project together and he was following my lead since I have been reading a ton of blogs lately on refinishing and painting furniture. Some of the blogs/posts I have read for inspiration include Bower Power, Centsational Girl, and Thrift Decor Chick. These ladies ROCK at fixing up thrift store furniture in need of some love and TLC!

A few weeks back I came across this lovely dresser with a little bit of distressed look at my local Habitat Re-Store. I make at least a weekly trip to the Re-Store and eyed the piece for two weeks.

I finally decided to bite the bullet and ask if they could wiggle on the price. I purchased this dandy dresser for $45, they originally wanted $70. I love the clean lines on this dresser and think it will look great in our nursery for Baby Peanut. As you can see from the picture above it is missing one of its handles and in the picture below you can see some of the icky sticky stuff on the top of it.

Pete and I set out today to get the sanding done, handles removed, and wood filler applied. Tomorrow we will paint on a little oil-based primer. Here I am sanding the side of the dresser. Pete started on the drawer fronts. The picture is grainy due to the dust/sand debris flying in the air.

I used 120 grit sandpaper for sanding on my Black and Decker orbital sander. I must brag on Pete for a minute regarding the sander. He knew I was itching to start refinishing furniture and had heard me mention a few times some projects I had in mind. A few weeks back, Pete came across the Black and Decker sander at a yardsale for $5! It came with its carrying case and a plethora of sand paper refills of various grits. WAY TO GO HUBBY! The previous owners had added a handle to the sander to add a little more control to the sander. It works perfectly!

So here is the dresser after Part 1.

We have sanded the dresser and drawer fronts, removed the handles, and filled in the holes. To fill in the holes, we used Elmer’s Wood Filler, like the one pictured below. It is paintable and stainable and should work great. We purchased the wood filler from Lowe’s, the 32 ounce size for $7.19. I opted for the larger size since I know we will be using this as I have many furniture and picture frame projects up my sleeve. We used a tad bit of mineral spirits on the top of the dresser to remove the icky sticky stuff. Worked like a charm!

So that is our progress for Day 1. Tomorrow is another round of sanding to get a nice smooth surface where the wood filler was applied, a good wipe down to remove all the dust particles, and then at least one coat of oil-based primer. We had to call it quits for the evening – it is football time. Go AUBURN!

I am thinking about painting the dresser white, but welcome input from my lovely readers. Let me know what you think. We are painting the nursery a green apple color and will have white gloss trim. I am also unsure of what drawer pulls I am going to use. Since we are missing one handle I will have to replace them. I am undecided if I should use one handle/pull per drawer in the middle or if I shoud use two pulls, one on each side. Let me know what you would do! More to come tomorrow!

Toodles,

~Iris~

Advertisements